July 13, 2011

Our Lady of Mount Carmel


July 16th marks the Feast Day for My/Our Lady of Mount Carmel. In my younger days, I remember walking alongside her as she was paraded up and down Melrose Park, Illinois. Everytime I go visit my family, I must stop at my home Church and have a talk with My Lady. What better entity can there be outside of my parents who knows me any better? She has witnessed my baptism, first communion and confirmation under her Church - now the Shrine of Our Lady Mount Carmel. (Of course, I fantasized about bringing my one and only before her and ask for her blessing and continuing the cycle with our children and so on. Things just have a way of changing and it's best to just keep on truckin'.) I wear her scapular with great reverence.

The Scapular is a constant reminder of Mary's presence in our lives. Through the symbol of the Scapular we strive to live and die as friends of God. This is the substance of the Scapular Promise.

Even though I have missed the bulk of the festivities (i.e. coronation, Italian Mass, and Novena), I plan on being there for the Feast Day Mass. Below is a clip of the festivities of last year. Lei è così bella! Divertiti!

No comments: